Maine Quilts 2017
Quilt Entry Info and Registration
Events and Activities
Teachers and Workshop Registration
Directions and Lodging
At the Show | Set Up/Take Down |Specialty Needs | Sign Up Form
Won’t you donate two or more volunteer hours to Maine Quilts 2017? Volunteers are needed for a variety of duties during show hours. We also need volunteers to help with show set up on Tuesday, July 25 and Wednesday, July 26 and especially show take down on Saturday, July 29. All volunteers receive free admission to the show for the day they volunteer. Those who volunteer on Tuesday or Wednesday will have their names on a list for free one-day admission on Thursday, Friday or Saturday. Everyone who signs up by July 1 AND works every shift they signed up for will have their name entered in a special drawing for a Baby Lock Presto sewing machine MSRP $1075. Thank you to Sanford Sewing Machines for donating the sewing machine.Plus for each two hour shift you volunteer you will receive one ticket for the daily drawing for fabric and other prizes. Please sign up early.
- Teacher Transportation – on Tuesday or Wednesday meet one or two teachers at the Portland Jetport and drive them to Augusta; on Saturday take them to a South Portland hotel after the show. Need reliable vehicle with a large, empty trunk; ideally have a cell phone.
- Scribe for Judges – Tuesday 12 -5 or Wednesday 7:45 -1. Must be able to be on feet for 5+ hours, write legibly and record comments precisely and quickly; confidentiality agreement required. Contact Pam Nourse at email@example.com or 207.343.0557 to be a scribe.
Set Up on Tuesday and Wednesday/Take Down Saturday
The majority of these jobs require being on your feet for the full shift. Hanging quilts often requires climbing a ladder.
- U-Haul / Storage Unit
- Driver: pick up 14’ U-Haul truck, drive to storage unit then to Augusta Civic Center on Tuesday; reverse on Saturday. No special license required.
- Load / Unload: load quilt frames, cross bars and other items from storage unit into truck on Tuesday and from truck into storage unit on Saturday. Some moderate lifting involved.
- Organize Quilts: sort quilts by division, category and number; place cross bars, hooks and loops in rows.
- Hang Quilts: work in teams to hang quilts following layout diagram and chairperson’s instructions. Great opportunity to see the quilts up close and personal!
- Quilt Take Down: 25-30 people needed to take quilts down and then assist with quilt pick up.
- Show Take Down: collect materials from around building and pack up.
During the Show:
- Admissions: collect admissions fee, make change, check registration badges and tickets. Seated.
- MQ Merchandise Sales: Sell t-shirts, pins and other items. Seated/standing.
- Quilters’ Walk: Sell chances on raffle items. Standing.
- Raffle Quilt: sell chances on raffle quilt. Seated.
- Show Information: monitor that no food or drink is brought into auditorium, answer questions, hand out ballots and other forms and direct visitors to various locations. Seated.
- Silent Auction: Register bidders. Last shift of day assists with collection of payment and sale of items. Seated.
- Vendor Assistant: Assist vendors with needs such as covering for a quick break, an item not working properly and opening doors for runs for additional merchandise. Standing.
- Volunteer Check In / Check Out: sign volunteers in and out. Seated.
- White Glove: answer questions about quilts, show backs of quilts, remind people not to touch quilts or use pens. Walking / standing entire shift. Main auditorium, antique quilts and Hancock Room.
- Workshop Registration: distribute packets and tote bags, assist people registering for classes and sell lecture tickets. Seated.
Thank you for volunteering!
To volunteer, please complete the Volunteer Sign Up form. You can complete the form on-line but must print and mail it.
You will receive confirmation emails in early July listing your volunteer date(s), time and activity.
Questions? Contact Volunteer Coordinator, Susan Bulay at firstname.lastname@example.org.
23 April, 2017